COMREG -- The Commission for Communications Regulation in Ireland reveals interesting demographics about use of the Internet.
- The percentage of residential users online in Ireland is 39%, which is nearly the same as the percentage of my students who file their third level assignments from home.
- Flat-rate Internet Access (FRIACO) products continues upwards. There were more than 6500 FRIACO subscribers between April and June along with 3850 new DSL connections in the same time period.
- More Irish people use their phone lines for data than for voice. This means Eircom has become an Internet service company that offers traditional voice services.
- Mobile penetration has pushed above 81%, which equates to 3.17m mobile subscribers.
- Text messaging has leveled off at 716m text messages per quarter.
- More thasn 10,000 mobile phone numbers have been ported from one network to another.
Amarach -- "Fixed and Mobile User Research" (443kb Powerpoint)