UNDERWAY -- While checking on the status of eight work placement students, I discovered two of them entrusted with backing up data on office systems, That is an important task, so I was surprised to find college students tasked with this important role. If their method is flawed, their companies are screwed.
We reviewed "Seven Steps to Data Recovery" from the Best Practise Essentials listing.
- Keep copies of critical data.
- Generate paper for transactions involving money or scan monetary items into a separate data library..
- Make electronic copies at different times of the day and different times during the week.
- Never use the same back-up tape.
- Keep back-up tapes in a locked fire safe.
- Annotate logs with information showing what is stored where.
- Test back-ups regularly.
Bonus tip from Patrick O'Beirne -- "Secure your PC"
Sent mail2blog using Nokia O2 Typepad service in County Tipperary, Ireland.