GUARDIAN -- There are benefits to using digital recording with IP cameras instead of traditional analogue cameras and tape storage. Many firms have copped onto this because digital storage of camera images now occurs more than traditional storage of CCTV tapes.There are good reasons for this.
- Clever use of IP cameras can reduce false alarms. When a proximity system starts a recording a central control room operator can immediately analyse the frames of data.
- Tape replacement anbd tape storage can be expensive.
- Digital data is stored locally and centrally.
- Orange has developed softwae that allows images to be transferred to mobile phone screens.
- The new PoE standard means cameras now power from their network point. This brings cost savings and increases the resilience of the system.
- Digital cameras can be used to spot suspicious behaviour through the use of pattern recognition software.
Ken Young -- "Eye spy with my little network" in The Guardian Online, July 22, 2004.
Bonus Link: Dedicated Micros installed IP cameras at Luton Airport. The system uses analogue cameras feeding into a digital switch.
Bonus Link: Bailey Telecom wireless cameras need to be jam-proof.
x_ref125mc x_ref01bu /font>