WE RECYCLE some of our household sponges by blasting them for two minutes in our microwave oven. A shot of microwave radiation can sterilise most household sponges, US researchers report. That conclusion comes from a team of engineering researchers at the University of Florida. They found microwave ovens running on full power killed or inactivated more than 99% of bacteria, viruses or parasites, as well as spores, on a kitchen sponge.
"People often put their sponges and scrubbers in the dishwasher, but if they really want to decontaminate them and not just clean them, they should use the microwave," says Gabriel Bitton, a professor of environmental engineering who led the study.
Reuters -- "Microwaves Zap Sponges Clean"