MY MAY PHOTOSTREAMS are filled with images from university graduations and those shots prompt me to realise what I did not do before I finished my Honours Degree 35 years ago. I draw the points of comparison because I'm in Ireland now and I realise several of the tasks needed to be completed before I got my parchment. Here's what I did not do before graduating:
1. Pull pints. I think that's a required job skill for every college graduate today. However, I did dive up to my shoulders into Colorado Rocky ice to retrieve beer for myself and friends.
2. Discover a local band. In Colorado, I didn't acquire a live music taste. Instead, I compiled a stack of cassette tapes that were engineered to make my car drive faster.
3. Write a blog. They didn't exist back then. However, I did leave college with some internet experience and that counts for something.
4. Start a business. I think entrepreneurship is what powers our economy. When I finished college, I already had a job and my employer frowned upon additional streams of income from day jobs.
5. Give up drinking (twice). I think I should have learned to totally give up something before I turned 21. Looking back, I can't say I ever did.
And those are five things I did not do before graduating from college.
Image from my college campus in Colorado.