BACK IN 1997, I started computer labs with a task list published on my blog. I'm doing the same thing in 2016 as I begin to show a new cohort of sports management students how to quickly move from desktop Office to collaboration inside Office 365. There's a task list below the fold for people who are curious about how I begin the OneNote on-boarding process with new converts. Several of the activities specified in the task list generate follow-up cards automatically inside Contactually, the CRM system I use with hundreds of students every year.
O365 Practical Task List #1
1. Informal e-mail. Send an informal email to [email protected] with the subject heading "Starting IT Labs" and briefly explain what kind of music (or artist or genre) you like to hear playing in the background when you work out or hang out after a tough day.
2. Convert and Save to OneDrive. Convert the body of the email you send about "Starting IT Labs" into a Word document and save it as StartingITlabs.docx in your personal OneDrive space.
3. Research "Dhillbillies Mud Run" being held in Mitchelstown in October and write down key facts about the event.
4. Formal e-mail. Send a formal email to [email protected] with the subject heading "Dhillbillies Mud Run" and explain the event by answering who, what, when, where, why and how.
5. Create Hyperlink. In your formal email, include the URL someone could use to register for the event.
6. Share a call to action about DHillbillies Mud Run. You might consider sharing to Facebook or to Twitter or to Snapchat.
7. Explain. In your formal email, briefly explain what you wrote in your shared call to action.
8. Convert and save as Document. Convert the body of the email you send about "DHillbilliesMudRun" into a Word document and save it as DhillbilliesMudRun.docx in your personal OneDrive space.
9. Acknowledge. Click the link in an email from Bernie Goldbach inviting you to a shared OneDrive for IT and Communications.
10. Acknowledge. Click the link in an email from Bernie Goldbach inviting you to a shared Classroom OneNote for IT and Communications.
11. Verify by exception. Send an email to [email protected] explaining which of the shared assets you cannot access.
+++ Bernie Goldbach teaches creative media for business in the Limerick Institute of Technology. This entry is filed under "Sports" because the current cohort is studying sports management. The men in the photo completed a Strength and Conditioning degree from the Limerick Institute of Technology last year.